Saturday, December 23, 2017

A Visit to Bethlehem In Spirit

A Visit to Bethlehem In Spirit
by James Montgommery

The scene around me disappears,
And, borne to ancient regions,
While time recalls the flight of years,
I see angelic legions
Descending in an orb of light:
Amidst the dark and silent night
I hear celestial voices.

"Tidings, glad tidings from above
To every age and nation!
Tidings, glad tidings! God is love,
To man he sends salvation!
His Son beloved, his only Son,
The work of mercy hath begun;
Give to his name the glory!" 

Through David's city I am led;
Here all around are sleeping;
A light directs to yon poor shed;
There lonely watch is keeping:
I enter; ah, what glories shine!
Is this Immanuel's earthly shrine,
Messiah's infant temple?

It is, it is; and I adore
This Stranger meek and lowly,
As saints and angels bow before
The throne of God thrice holy!
Faith through the veil of flesh can see
The face of thy divinity,
My Lord, my God, my Savior!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Constructive comments are appreciated. All comments are moderated and do not immediately appear after publishing. I don't publish spam folks. Thanks and have a nice day!